Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thing #3

Topic: register blog, classroom uses for blog, other uses

Register blog: Check
Complete Things 1 & 2: Check
Come up with uses: hmmmm.....

This is a hard one. I am finding that I really have no clue about certain elements of teaching, such as...well, the teaching part. My concentration is K-12 Art Education, although I really do not know which age group I would like to spend 8 hours of my day with for 25 years. I suppose that will be trial and error. Although the types of assignments and projects will vary depending on the grade level, I think there are still some valuable lessons to be learned through a blog. Listed below are a few ideas that I've come up with. How realistic they are really depends on the school, age, and resources.
  1. I could create a scavenger hunt activity. Perhaps students would be required to search for x number of artworks from a particular period and blog about each one. They would be required to discuss elements of art, principles of design, brief description of artist, title, and historical context.
  2. Students could use the blog to discuss aspects of their current project, upload images of their artwork, and provide feedback for other classmates' work.
  3. Blogs could provide insight into current artist's methods and vision. Reading (teacher-approved) artist blogs could help them relate past works to current.
  4. Students could use their blog to aid them in class critiques. Expanding on #2.
  5. I'm really liking #1 the more I think about it. I could use student's responses to blog topics to assess student learning.
  6. I could also use it as a tool for self assessment. If they are learning the material and standards, then there would be specific uses of vocabulary and visual description used. If these were not present, then I would know areas to focus on in the future.
  7. Students would have a forum to display artwork to others. They could also be exposed to professional art networks.
  8. I could work with area museums to see what programs they offer in regards to schools, education, technology, and current exhibits.
I think I'm going to stop there. I think I have a good starting point. Perhaps what would be next (other than getting an actual JOB as an Art Teacher), would be to determine how each of these uses would relate to the state standards, how I would monitor activity, what tools I would need, and appropriate content for ages.

The wheels are turnin'! That's very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment