Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thing 17

Topic: Discover delicious

I don't really know why this was so hard for me to complete! For weeks I've been looking at "Thing 17: not yet completed"...the title I used to save this spot in my list of blogs (so Things 1-23 could remain in chronological order). Each time I logged in, I would just stare at it, silently sigh, all with an Elvis lip and scrunched up nose. This 3 Step process seems to be the universal "Amanda"s disapproval-hesitation-procrastination/ugh-I-don't-want-to-do-this-ONE!" expression.

"Bookmark on Delicious" buttons are the new end punctuation mark for sentences, so it seems. In all actuality, I think the pop up window that displays all 5 trillion feeds/bookmarks/save-this/link/email/download/print options had given Mr. Period Question Mark the boot a long time ago. I just didn't know what those little buttons were all about.

So, what is Delicious all about anyways? The short version is that it is a way for you to remember (bookmark) and share your favorite webpages with others. Hence, the descriptor of social bookmarking.

Delicious would be great...if I didn't already have 5 other tools just like it. I use Stumble Upon, Zotero, some I have saved in a folder on my toolbar, some I have in an email folder, some are on my USB drive, some are stored in the North Pole. The point is...I have stuff bookmarked EVERYWHERE. To make matters more complicated, I have not perfected the art of tagging...so categories are not sorted efficiently. Too much of a good thing isn't a good thing; it's overwhelming!

I did learn some new terms, and I have provided links to them.

Linkroll
Tagroll

Social bookmarking sites are like super-sized value meals or funnel cake: Once in a while isn't going to be too bad....every five minutes, though, is a little too excessive and bad for your health.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, It probably defeats the purpose when you need to organize your organization....

    ReplyDelete