Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thing 9

Topic: Image Generator; Custom Road Sign; Cool Text




My road sign titled, Highway Haiku, tells the short version of yesterday's events.... Steven and Sophie bring such glorious excitement to my day! Yesterday, they chose to do so with the union of Elmer's Glue and all contents within the living room (the entertainment center, mouth, arms, legs, carpet, foot stool, baby gate and walls). Luckily, the glue was non-toxic and peeled off of most everything...except the carpet.

Either way, it inspired the sign above. What practical use could this have within the classroom? LOTS...especially if your students are as wordy as I am. I have the tendency to be overly descriptive. OVERLY 'overly descriptive', even. Image generators force you to "sum it up." This could be useful when looking at main points of topics, creating a thesis statement, listing main characters, or brainstorming in general.

I chose to use Custom Road Signs because the website is simple and very basic. The ones listed on 23 Things honestly gave me a huge anxiety attack when I visited them. I knew I wanted a "road sign" theme...but I freaked out the moment I saw the suggested site Custom Sign Generator and a link within it: Sign Generator). Too busy, too much stuff, too much too much. Perhaps it was the color scheme and/or font. (See below for my final thoughts).

I do like this application though. It forces you to be creative in your word choice. I think sometimes there is more emphasis on quantity of words instead of quality of words. This forces a person to "think before they speak."

I like that.


03/20/2010

Cool Text: Logo and Graphics Generator

Cool Text is another image generator that I came across today. It is free and pretty wonderful. I used it to create the button below. This was a product of research for another class project...Not to my surprise, I got side tracked, found this and thought I'd try it out.

Click this button to go to the page where I found out about CoolText. While you're there, do something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment