Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Thing 14

Topic: Mind Maps and Flow charts

I used bubbl.us to create a mind map of 23 things assignments. It started with a single bubble. "Enter" creates a bubble below; "Tab" creates bubble beside the existing one. As I have completed each item, I deleted the corresponding box. This is great for all visual learners out there, as well as those who NEED help organizing thoughts, tasks, ABC's, or thing-a-ma-bobs.

I tried to create a flow chart through Gliffy using the same 23 Things Assignment topic as I did in bubble.us. I found that it was difficult considering the amount of information involved in my topic. I didn't like it as well as the mind map. Gliffy was more difficult to figure out, and I had a hard time deciding which tools to use.

I think the mind map is a great brainstorming tool. It is simple to use and works well for stream of consciousness writing techniques. The flow charts seem like their practical use would be after the brainstorming stage is completed; and you have your main topics ready to display.

The two sites I explored could work well in conjunction with one another. For projects, presentations, or creative writing assignments students could use bubble.us to map out their ideas; Once an assignment is complete, Gliffy could be used to create study guides, hand outs, or outlines.

For my personal use, I prefer the mind map. I think it works well with scattered brains and randomness. Although the final result looks like a hot mess, it works well with my thought process. I changed the position of the bubbles so that it made colored-layered-rings of topics. For someone who immediately either looks for or sees patterns of color/designs this method works well.








No comments:

Post a Comment