Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Thing #6

Topic: Web 2.0 Features, Stumble Upon

This little button is my new best friend...and I shall commence to tell you why.

Let's imagine that I want to know more about...oh, I don't know...the evolution of grasshoppers because I really love insects, science, and history. In the past, I would Google the word grasshopper, and then hundreds if not thousands of sites would show up. For advanced Google searching skills, one person might even search for grasshoppers + history of. Either way, you type in the word, the search engine finds sites, you look at a sight, then go back to search results, go to a sight, hit the back button too many times, loose your place because you forgot which words you typed to search for, and so on and so forth. Before you know it, you've given up, thrown the keyboard against the wall, and headed to the kitchen to eat a gallon of ice cream.

Well, those times are ancient history. With Stumble Upon, you pick your interests and it picks web pages within the category of interest for you. All you have to do is hit a button. If you like the sight, select the I like It button, and it will add it to your favorites. If you don't like the sight, move on to the next one. It's as easy as turning a page. Because I am just discovering how to use this site, that's the extent of my toolbar description. Feel free to check out the About Us page. They do a far better job of explaining the features than I do.

My categories of interest are Art, History, Neuroscience, Psychology, Art History, Education, Statistics, and a few other ones. I can change these at any time and there are dozens to choose from. This is great for expanding your knowledge base. I've been introduced to topics and sites that I would have never searched for on my own, but they are still relevant to my areas of interest It's a great tool for thinking outside the box... without moving too far away from the box.

I highly recommend it!!!! Click on the highlighted words for a direct link to the product demo and about us page, or you can visit www.stumbleupon.com for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment